Question: What is the importance of food in this reading?
I think that the importance of food in this reading is that its what bonded the son and mother together. They moved from Korea and he smoke more english then she did and was helping her learn and cook american cuisine. He wasn't just her prized child because he was her first child, it was because unlike his sister he was the one that was bonding and learning something new with his mom. He realized that she was sick and wanted to spend as much time as possible together with her which meant cooking even if he didn't necessarily enjoy it that much. Sometimes she would be rude about him messing up or not adding enough of an ingredient but he still always helped her. It was touching that he always worked hard on his cooking when at one point his mom was unable to eat any of the food because of her sickness.
I think that its special when a parent and child have something to bond them together. For me its always been sports because I am very athletic and my parents have been athletes at one point and are active in my sports and have even coached me at some point in my childhood. I think cooking is a great thing to bring two people together and this reading made me want to practice my cooking skills with my mom because im a horrible cook!
Hi Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI think you're right that children and parents are able to build their relationship and form a stronger bond when they share something that brings them together.
Your post has me wondering about the sister's relationship with their mother. She is almost nonexistent in the text.
Lauren
I agree with you that food was a bond that he and his mother shared and I think it turned into a stronger more meaningful bond because he became more Americanized and she tried to connect with a neighbor about cooking American food. He could speak better English than her and helped her communicate with the neighbor and that strengthened their relationship because he could give something back to her.
ReplyDelete