Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rules for Writers: Chapter One

In chapter one of Rules for Writers, the main idea is how to make a successful outline or plan that will shape whatever you are writing. Its always a good step to first start out by assessing the writing situation which is to include the key elements of the writing situation including your subject, the sources of information available to you, your purpose, your audience and constraints such as length. Always make sure that you understand what is being required of you in a assignment and dont just assume that all assignments are the same. When you are writing about a reading make sure that you annotate the text and take notes, this will help you remember important information and not have to go back through the whole reading once you finish. Making a diagram, writing down questions, any ideas as your driving, sitting, watching a movie or doing whatever will help you get a structured solid outline to your text. The more you prepare and plan, the more successful you shall be. It is most important that you have a strong thesis that is often the answer to a question you have posed, the resolution of a problem you have identified, or a statement that takes a position on a debatable topic.

I can take away many things from this chapter that will help me in my writing. When working on a text that   comes from a reading I will definately work hard to do a good job at annotating. I have always sort of struggled with writing my thesis, but I think that if i plan better it should get easier for me. I used to just wait until the night before to write essays and i would just crank them out in a hour or two, but a few times I actually did take the time to make a outline and write down any questions, thoughts or ideas I had and those of course were always my most successful essays so I will be sure to plan ahead. I will also try to focus more on making sure I am writing in a way that connects with my audience, I havent really been taught much about focusing on your audience but I am anxious to see how it helps my writing! I liked this chapter alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment