Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rules For Writers: Chapter 47

CONSTRUCTING REASONABLE ARGUEMENTS

In chapter 47 it gives us many good points on how to prove or make a successful arguement in text. The tone you choose to use sets the base of your argument. You can be overly aggressive, too passive, or have an assertive tone. Never assume that your audience you are talking too already agrees with you, it is helpful to act like they do not agree with you, that way you are making an argument to persuade them towards your side. Make sure that you are always being clear with what side and position you stand on the topic, you introduce this in the introduction. When making your thesis in your introduction paragraph, follow up in the body with persuasive lines of arguments. In order to make a successful arguement you wil need to support your claim with facts, statistics, evidence, examples or illusions. Some topics are based off personal experience and you wont need to gather examples or evidence. Using facts is always better then using your own opinion. A fact is.."something that is known with certainty because it has been objectively verified". Anticipating your counter opposing arguments will help you be prepared to prove your point before they can fire back at you with that argument. Shut them down, before they shut you down. 

I really enjoyed this chapter because I like writing persuasive texts. Persuasive texts isnt necessarily an argument, but you are presenting points of pro's and con's to your audience. I am a very strong headed person and I like to argue. I tend to put too much of my opinion into my texts when trying to make an argument so what I am going to take away from this chapter most is "47e, Support your claims with specific evidence". By proving facts in my text instead of my own opinion I will have a better chance of winning the argument and proving my point correctly, instead of opinion based. 


No comments:

Post a Comment