Building Effective Paragraphs
"A paragraph should be unified around a main point. The point should be clear to readers, and all sentences in the paragraph should relate to it". A topic sentence can be put in the beginning in a paragraph or the end depending on if the earlier sentences hang together so well that readers perceive their direction. A topic sentence sets the theme of the further sentences in the paragraph that are going to come. It is always helpful to choose a suitable pattern of organization and stick to it. If your writing isnt clear and organized then the readers will be confused and not understand how to follow the text. Here are a couple forms of paragraphs: narration is a paragraph that tells a story or part of a story that is usually arranged in chronological order but may contain flashbacks. A descriptive paragraph sketches a portrait of a place, person or thing by using concrete and specific details that appeal to one or more of our senses. A process paragraph is structured in chronoligical order.
The most important things that I can take away from this reading is to make my paragraphs coherent. A coherent paragraph is when sentences and pargraphs flow from one to another without discernible bumps, gaps, or shifts. Once I get an idea in my head I am pretty good with gathering my main points, topics, arguements or stories. I need to work on having better transition sentences and paragraphs and making everything flow together better.
No comments:
Post a Comment