Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rules For Writers: Chapter 48

Evaluating Arguments:


In this chapter we focus on learning how to evaluate arguements. Fallacies: things such as hasty generalizations and false analogies, misguided or dishonest use of legitimate argumentative strategies. 
When we draw a conclusion from an array of facts, we engage in inductive reasoning that promotes opinions and probabiblity, not certainty. By stereotyping we tend to see what we want to see, instead of noticing evidence to the contrary. Analogies can be an effective mean of arguing. It points out a similarity between two things that are otherwise different. Its good to always try and distinguish between fair and unfair emotional appeals then judge how fairly a writer handles opposing views. The difference between the two is that legitimate emotions appeal to the reader by invoking them. Were unfair emotions is when words with strong positive or negative connotations are used with bias language.


I liked this chapter because I enjoy arguing but after reading this chapter I learned a lot and feel like I can really improve my argumentive text. I liked the point about stereotyping and that people often dont use facts when trying to argue. They use probability instead of certainty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment